Monday, March 26, 2007

"A Metro-Sexual Journey," and fun with gender

Both Alana and Kris raise very interesting points about gender in Sentimental Journey. I found myself wondering about some of the same issues while reading this novel. Aside from the completely fascinating study of gender in this novel, there seems to be a wealth of societal modes and overtones.


Each time I picked up this book, I examined the cover. I’m not sure how many of you have the same copy as I do: I have the penguin classic with the four men looking at a painting. What a great picture!! I still can’t get a read on it. The first time I looked at it, it seemed to me that the men were leering at the naked woman, with the man in blue smirking like a kid who knows he’s seeing something he’s not supposed to. Later, as I looked at the cover throughout my reading, the men seem to be calmly critiquing the artistry of the painting, with their gaze focused mainly on the cherub in the corner. Now, after reading the book, I’m still undecided on which interpretation would be more appropriate. I go back and forth between the two extremes. I do the same when I read Yorick’s tales; my opinion of Yorick and his “sentimental” nature is all over the map.

First of all, I’m amazed at Yorick’s ability to solicit tears from those he comes into contact with. Seriously, amazed. Possibly unbelieving. Also, I wonder if perhaps Yorick is equating politeness with “sentiment.” In fact, I’m still not quite sure what this “sentimental” label is all about. The intro mentions Yorick’s “sympathy and charity towards those he meets on route,” but I am hesitant to believe that acts of kindness equal a “sentimental” label (xi).

Because I have a burning desire to relate everything to present day, I thought a little bit more about the concept of a “sentimental” man (sorry!). To me, the “sentimental” man that Sterne seems to be representing is similar to a “metro-sexual” man today. The Urban Dictionary defines a “metro-sexual” male as “A man with a woman's vanity,” also “good looking, stylish, fashionable, trendy, cultured, & well groomed.” The definition continues with “very conscious about his image and looks in public…believes in quality than quantity. definitely, not gay, always want to make sure he is up to date in fashion, style, and usually the trend maker…open to new things as long it is viable…just a man who cares a great deal about outward appearance and sensitivity.” (www.urbandictionary.com) Yorick seems to fit this definition absolutely and completely.

This novel makes me wonder about the state of the typical “man’s-man” in this time period. How much respect from other men would a “sentimental” man get? Yorick seems to be redefining his gender with traditionally feminine attributes; was this a common practice of men in this period? Is this an example of a “foppish” man? Were the women similarly elevated? Was this just a way for Yorick to get more action? By the way, Yorick seems to be extraordinarily focused on sex, especially for a priest!!

I really enjoyed this book. Sterne has a very light touch, and his method of interspersing dialogue and thought is intriguing. There’s a lot of stuff in this book, I can’t wait to discuss it!

1 comment:

thowe said...

Excellent post, Liana! I am glad we had the opportunity to discuss many of these issues in class last week. I am especially intrigued by your reading of "metrosexuality"; one of the more interesting nuances of this term--both for today and for Sterne's Yorick in the 18th century--is its specific cosmopolitanism. If you're interested in the intersections between sentimentalism, sexuality, and world travel, you might look into that term as it's been debated in recent years. There's a great book by Aravamudan called Tropicopolitans, where he links the idea of travel--here, to tropical arenas--to cosmopolitanism from a postcolonial perspective.